The table below summarizes the two Betas performance and their memory footprint after each test. Memory was measured with Phonetinfo 1.2 and is the difference in free RAM before starting Opera and after each test.
|Test||Beta 1||Beta 2||Beta 1 Memory||Beta2 Memory|
|Sunspider||181,405.8 ms||24,516.8 ms||18,168 KB||27,248 KB|
|V8||33.8||289.5||0 (DNF)||0 (DNF)|
- The Touch version of Google Reader, which is a little sluggish on the N95 with Beta 1 is downright snappy with Beta 2. The experience with Beta 2 is every bit as good as on my Android phone.
- The PC version of Reader, which i find unusable in Beta 1, is better with Beta 2,but still not something I would use willingly. The delay opening feeds and scrolling through items is now tolerable rather than unbearable. However items still aren't automatically marked as read when scrolling past them.
- I did not see any noticeable difference between Beta 1 and 2 with the Touch version of Buzz, which is reasonably responsive in both Betas.
I was very happy to see that my bookmarks and speed dials were preserved when installing Beta 2 over Beta 1, something previous versions of Opera Mobile did not do. Unfortunately saved passwords are not retained when upgrading.
Make no mistake, this is a Beta version. Opera lists the following known issues in the 10.1 Beta 2:
- Higher memory usage for Carakan with JIT compilation.
- Due to timing issues with different geolocation information providers (WiFi, cell towers, GPS) first request may have poor precision
- Fast scrolling on Touch devices not optimized for page rendering
- Opera Link may not work when using APN with a proxy configured
- Some SVGT images may appear to freeze on Nokia E-series phones
- If SIM card is not registered, or phone is in flight mode, first geolocation request in a browser session may fail
Other than the out of memory errors running the V8 benchmark, I didn't experience any issues with this Beta. However, there are two reports of problems on E-series devices on the Opera Mobile for Symbian forum. If it does turn out to unstable for you, here are links to download and reinstall Beta 1 and the Opera 10 stable version.