The mobile edition of Microsoft's Bing search engine (m.bing.com) was updated recently with a bunch of new features borrowed from Bing's desktop page and Google's mobile search webapp including:
- Background image of the day with floating "Explore" menu
- Search suggestions appear as you type
- Location enabled on Android and iOS
- Image search results as a grid of thumbnails
- Tabbed results pages with tabs for All, Images, Shopping, Local etc.
The new interface shows up on the iPhone and iPad and Android, WebOS, BlackBerry OS 6 and Windows Phone 7 devices. Other browsers, including some very capable ones like Opera Mobile and the Symbian Anna, bada and Nokia N900 and N9 browsers, get Bing's rather plain legacy mobile site.
The new Bing version seemed quite responsive even on a older, low spec HTC Magic Android phone. It's certainly attractive and even a bit of fun to use. The only thing I don't care for are dark gray on black tab labels which I unnecessarily hard to read.